Skip to main content
Well hello, fellow music lover!

Welcome to the Harvey/Grey blog!
Caitlin here today and this is the first of many posts (I hope) on our brand new blog site! 

Let me introduce myself.
My name is Caitlin Grey & I'm a singer, songwriter, lyricist and producer from the UK. I live on my narrowboat Sapphire and I love tea, films of all kinds and a cheeky rioja. I work with my long-time writing partner Neil Harvey. Neil, who started out as a rock guitarist (& still whacks out a pretty mean solo) is an exceptionally gifted composer, songwriter and producer.
He also happens to be one of the nicest guys in the business. Well, I'm biased, as he is also my best mate.

This brand new Blog site is going to be where we share everything we have learned over the last twenty-five years of navigating the choppy waters of the music & film industries. Hopefully, we can pass on some of our hard-won knowledge to you, so that you can cut a few corners on your way to success.
So, firstly, a bit about us and our history. Neil & I have known each other since school and have worked together off and on for a long time....a long, long, long time. (Six days, Seven Nights, anyone?!) We have travelled the world in cabaret bands and experienced various other musical adventures both together and as separate artists, in other bands and as solo performers, session musicians, acting, directing, producing etc, usually playing music written by other people. And it was a fab life! But, since our late teens, we have always written our own material, hoping one day to be able to make a living from writing songs, not just for ourselves but for other artists too. 
But Holy moly, it's been very hit and miss, I can tell you.  Signed publishing deals, then dropped from labels without warning... you name it, we've been there! We've had our ups and downs, times when things have looked pretty bleak and we thought we'd blown our chances, missed opportunities, just been too bloomin' scared to go for it. And then the dawning realisation that we were perhaps...well....just too old. Let's face it, a lead singer with no teeth and chin stubble isn't a great look...and I'm not talking about the chap from The Pogues! 

But then, something fabulous happened....the internet!! THE INTERNET ARRIVED...….
Yes folks....the internet has allowed us to have a second chance at this weird and wonderful world of music & film that we inhabit. And I will talk more about this at a later date because it deserves its own post. But, I digress....

Since 2010, Neil and I have been working full time at our own music, trying to find our place in the heady world of the entertainment industry. We were always serious about the music, it's just that we were unable to fully commit due to other pressures and workload. But we've had a few years now where we have really been able to make some progress in terms of our output, which has helped enormously. We've really gained traction in the music licensing arena and, also, in writing for other artists and clients, as well as releasing our own albums. In future posts, I will, of course, go into detail about how we were able to achieve this enviable status quo so you're not just asking yourselves...well, yes, jolly good show etc, but how did you manage it? 
All this is useful stuff to anyone who is just starting out, particularly if you are an older artist who feels like it's too late for you. It's not!! 
I (& Neil) plan to give you as much detail as possible, so that you can plot your own way forward if you wish to and learn, not just from our successes, but from our mistakes too. 
So, blog post-wise, sometimes it will be a post from yours truly where I will try to focus on the business itself. And maybe some singing/songwriting/performance tips too. Neil will likely be covering all aspects of home production and producing broadcast quality music. But we would love to hear from you to let us know what you'd like us to tackle here at Harvey/Grey Music Blog HQ. 
So without further ado, I'll bid you farewell from my debut post here, as a cup of tea (& perhaps a chocolate hobnob) awaits me!
 See you back here very soon.
Cheerio for now & have a lovely day.
Caitlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of The Promise: Call of the Clans

Hi chums, Caitlin here today. I'm re-sharing all my blog posts on the making of our album The Promise. I'm starting with the last track first! Call of the Clans is the final track on the album and holds a special place in my heart. I have waxed lyrical in this blog post, so if you love history and music, then put your feet up! XX Call of the Clans 'A lone piper stands sentinel on the Scottish hillside, As through the heavy mists, the clansmen advanced. From the far corners of Scotland they came, United against a common foe To fight for freedom In a battle that would echo through the ages As one of the bloodiest of them all; Culloden.' And so we reach the end...the final track... Call of the Clans ! If you've read every post on every song, I thank you! Well, Call of the Clans ….Neil and I did 'um and ahh' over whether to include this track on the album. It is very different from every other song and we did wo

Folk songs: A living history we must cherish and protect.

  Folk songs: A living history we must cherish and protect. by Caitlin Grey I love folk songs.  I admit it. I am a folk song aficionado.  I grew up listening to them, learning them, singing them. When I was a very young child, my mother taught me many songs from her homeland of Ireland and she also introduced me to her favourite songs from other parts of the world, mostly from Scotland and America.  At school, I learned many more songs from diverse places such as Spain, Israel and Hungary and Australia! My early childhood was infused with this music; rich and varied in its heritage. I loved it.  Folk songs are part of our shared history. No matter where we are from. They are, in fact, a living history, as they continue to be performed to this day. More than that, new folk songs, by new singers and songwriters are being composed and performed.   Eventually, these ‘new’ songs will also find their way into the canon, taking their rightful place among the songs of old; enhancing and augmen

How I write songs: Tips, tricks & resources

Hey chums, Caitlin here today. This is a blog post I wrote some time ago, but it's still very relevant so I thought I would share it with you on my new Blog. Hope you enjoy it.  How I write songs,   by Caitlin Grey (Harvey/Grey Music) Writing about song writing is a bit weird! As I’m sure many other creative people will tell you, song writers (unless they are also teachers) don’t usually have to analyse the mechanics of what they do. In general, I don’t really think about how I write songs, I just do it! When I first began teaching singing and performance, explaining how I sing and perform came quite naturally, as you could argue that teaching itself is a form of performance. But song writing...mmm? Song writing (to me at least) is a rather personal endeavour, generally involving copious cups of tea and choccy biccies and executed behind closed doors in a small, airless studio. mysterious and secret! When you decide to share how you do it and write it down, y